Wow - it's been a LONG time since I've posted! Blogging has been on my to-do list for the past several weeks, but with school starting I have been busy and exhausted! I have barely even had time to look at my favorite blogs, let alone post on my own!
Thankfully, we seem to be settling into somewhat of a routine now. Getting up and out the door is getting a *little* easier (although mornings will never be my favorite time of day!). My firsties are starting to get the hang of our procedures and are also settling into a routine. We're working hard on the Daily 5, and we are loving our new SMART board! I have never had students so engaged in math and calendar as I do when I am using the SMART board.
We have already had our first celebration in our classroom as well! At Madison, the whole first grade celebrates Hershey Day - YUM! On Milton Hershey's birthday (September 13), we learn about chocolate, measure and weigh with chocolate, make Hershey Kiss headbands, and even taste and graph our favorite chocolate! It's so much fun, and the students just love it. My Hershey resources are on my school computer, but if you are interested I will post some of the fun things we do! Any excuse to eat chocolate AND learn works for me :)
Finally, I was surprised and honored to find that in my absence, I had received an award! Mrs. D over at The Silver Lining awarded me with the Versatile Blogger Award! Thank you so much!
My first award! Woo hoo!
On to the rules of the award:
1 - Thank the person who gave you the award and link back to them in your post.
Thank you again, Mrs. D! Check out her blog here!
2 - Share seven things about yourself.
1. I was shocked to see how similar my personality, likes, and dislikes were to Mrs. D, the person who nominated me for the award. We both love to read, love our SMART board, are neat freaks, love fall, and are trying to eat healthy. Scary!
2. I recently started taking a tap dance class and LOVE it! It is just myself and two other adults, along with our fabulous instructor. I always wanted to take tap as a child, but never did. I have learned 6-7 dances already and can't get enough :)
3. I am addicted to Diet Coke. And ice cream. I figure they balance each other out! On a side note, our local Tim Horton's is getting a Cold Stone Creamery! Yay! I received 8 separate texts and Facebook notifications from friends as the sign went up. I think I might have a problem :)
4. My son and I love to go to the movies. As soon as a movie is released that I think he'll enjoy, we pack my purse full of Twizzlers (our movie theater doesn't sell them!), order a jumbo popcorn, and enjoy!
5. I have been teaching for 11 years - all of it in first grade. I also student taught in first grade, did my practicum in first grade, long term subbed in first grade...you get the picture. I think I am a first grade "lifer."
6. I recycle crayons and sell them at craft shows and on my website, Plumdoodles. It's a great way to use up old crayons, and because of working at a school I have an endless supply to recycle!
7. I am a beginning couponer - I enjoy seeing the savings stack up when I shop! I am finding that I don't have as much time to devote to couponing during the school year though.
3- Pass this award along to 15 other recently discovered blogs.
15?!? That's a LOT! I hate to be a rule breaker on my first award, but I truly can't think of 15 new blogs to pass the award on to! Here are a few:
Nicole at Flipping for First Grade
Jennifer at First Grade Blue Skies
Hope at Second Grade Shenanigans
Thanks again Mrs. D! I promise I will be back soon (and more regularly!) with fun resources and more posts.