Thursday, July 14, 2011

Classroom Library Linky Party!

I am linking up with The Sweet Life of Third Grade for a classroom library linky party!  Before posting my pictures, I have a confession...I am addicted to books.  I have a GIANT library and I base my room arrangement around showcasing/utilizing it.  I love having our classroom gathering area surrounded by the low bookshelves filled with books!  I am a little nervous this year because I am getting a SMART board (yay!) but will be moving our gathering area so that the SMART board is also a focus.  I'm hoping our books can still surround us...
Here is a picture of our overall gathering area/library:
The white baskets on the top of the shelves are from Big Lots.  The blue crates on the bottom are from Wal-Mart, and so are the shelves.  The shelves are the 4 shelf plastic units, but instead of putting them all the way together I only assembled them to have 2 shelves.  This is the perfect height for first graders, they are easy to clean, light enough to move, and fit just about anywhere!  Plus, they were relatively cheap :) 
I have so many books that I only allow students to choose from the white baskets, and then I switch the books out several times during the year (seasons, holidays, themes, etc.).  Each white basket has a label on the front telling what type of books are in the basket, along with a sticker dot.  Then, each book in the basket has a corresponding sticker dot so students know where to put the books away.  I also leveled each book in my library using Fountas & Pinnell leveling, so students can select books that are appropriate for their reading levels.  It was a LOT of work, but so worth it.  I use the Daily 5, and it is so helpful for students when they are filling their book boxes.
Here is another shot of our library:

You can kind of see the labels in this picture.  You can also see the writing area (green shelf) with its basket of pictionaries and other writing books. 
Behind the curtain, I kept my calendar wall.  Our school is an HET school (Highly Effective Teaching) and we are encouraged to cover our calendar & other "distracting" items when they are not being used.  I liked the way the curtain looked closed, but I have to admit that I rarely closed it!

This coming year I will be using the SMART board for calendar, so this area can be used for something else - possibly our "Where in the World?" current events map, or the word wall.  It would be nice to be able to cover the words for spelling tests!
I hope viewing my library gives you some ideas - I LOVE getting to peek at others' classrooms!  If you like what you see, follow my blog!  I am working on some great SMART board activities and beginning of the year fun that I will be posting soon :)

1 comment:

  1. Great library!! Never thought to look at Big Lots for baskets {I plan to go tomorrow} Thank you for joining my linky party!
    ~Audrey
    The Sweet Life of Third Grade

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...